Friday, April 19, 2013

The Heroes Journey - MYTH and POPULAR MEDIA Final Creative Output

DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE PICTURES. WHAT I HAVE DONE HERE IS THE COMIC LAYOUT. COPYRIGHTS TO THE PROPER OWNER OF THESE IMAGES.

Click the image to view the whole picture.

What I want to share with this blog post is my final creative output for out class "Myth and Popular Media". 
In MYTHPOP, we've been talking about archetypes from myth stories and relate it to modern and popular media.
Basically, we have to compare "The Heroes Journey" of a MYTH and a CONTEMPORARY Movie.
I've chosen the story of "Orpheus and Eurydice" as my myth story and "Hancock" starring Will Smith for my contemporary movie.

First up is my myth story. The one who aren't in the rectangle texts are the STAGES of the Heroes Journey.

STAGES: Call to Adventure to Crossing of the First Threshold
In this stage, after Eurydice died, Orpheus went to the underworld to try an take his love back. With his music that no one can refuse, Hades then approved Eurydice going back to the land of the living with one condition.



The road to trial is where Orpheus agrees to the condition of Hades, but at the last moment he looked back causing Eurydice to be pulled back to the underworld.



Although the story didn't went well for Orpheus. I choose to categorize it to the "Ultimate Boon" because now he's experiencing what for me is the experience after he's travel to the underworld. The crossing of the return threshold at this point, he knows what the underworld seems to be.

My contemporary movie will be Hancock of Will Smith. 



At this point, Hancock already do hero duties but to the typical hero. He maybe an anti-hero in this sense because he isn't the typical hero. He's always drunk and causes a lot of damage.


Hancock experienced a lot of trials. He discovered his origin and what really happened to him. Here he then will accept the hero that he should be.


There was not really a "father". The atonement of the father here describes for me is when Hancock lowered his pride with his conflict with May. He then overcome the trials by defeating the robbers and Red. 


Hancock didn't end up with May but he realize that he has different responsibilities and that is being a hero.

I hope that you've learned or somehow entertained with my output. Thank you for reading. If you have time, you can also read my other blog posts. Appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment