Wednesday, November 23, 2011

As if I have a choice?

Ever wondered if we can have a stand in our religious view when we were born? Example, like for Catholics, a new born baby automatically becomes Catholic because the family is. As if the new born knows what's happening and when he/she becomes older, principles are taught to her. Can he/she question if he/she had a choice?

My grandparents are devoted Catholic and has many traditions. My parents are Catholics and obviously I am. I have questioned faith and traditions of the church. And when my grandmother hears that I attend youth services from other Christian groups she automatically thinks that I want to change my religion. Did they asked me in the first place if I wanted to be a Catholic?

For me, it's supposed to be a choice. To be baptized is a choice. It is renewing yourself by water, leaving your old self and have a renewed life. I think, new born babies haven't done anything sinful yet and why baptize them?

No comments:

Post a Comment